How to remove pet odors from carpets
Carpets and rugs are great protective coverings for all types of flooring. They also offer comfort, insulation and a certain element of modern style to the home. If you have carpets and you have pets, you are certainly faced with the challenge of keeping your carpets hygienic and clean. Below are tips on how to remove pet odors from carpets – that work!
- Make your own odor eliminating fabric spray by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a spray bottle. Make sure the nozzle setting is fixed on a fine mist. Mix in 2 cups of water after the combination stops fizzing, and shake well. Use the mixture to spray finely on water-safe carpets and rugs. You can also use the mist to spray the air.
- For non-water-safe carpets, you can sprinkle baking soda finely onto the carpet surface. It will absorb any moisture and odor which can then be vacuumed away.
- If you buy an animal odor neutralizer to use, make sure that you clean the area of all animal waste before you use it. Fresh, clean water and paper towels can be used to dilute and eventually remove the urine or stain causing the odor.
- Use a HEPA filter and make sure that you change the aircon and furnace filters regularly. Many homeowners might think that they haven’t effectively cleaned the odor from the carpet, when in fact, the smell is trapped in the filters and simply being circulated throughout the home.
- Wash soft pet toys regularly. These are often damp and dirty from being chewed and dragged everywhere. When left in carpeted areas, they can lead to bad odors. Make sure that you machine-wash these toys each week to avoid bad smells in the home.
Top quality flooring solutions from California Designs
At California Designs, we stock a wide range of flooring solutions with carpets and rugs to match. Each of our carpets and rugs is designed from quality materials for durability and of course aesthetics. For more information and advice on carpets, rugs, and how to care for them, contact us via email or telephone at California Designs today.