- Always use a steel measuring tape. It is essential to get precise and accurate measurements.
- You will notice that the measurements are represented in inches, which are marked with big, bold lines and numbers. It is then divided into smaller fractions of an inch. You will measure to the nearest 1/8th of an inch. If the size falls on 1/16th of an inch or smaller, round down to the nearest 1/8th.
- Make sure to record your measurements as you go along:
- Firstly, you need to record the width of the window.
- Second, record the height.
- You need to know how you are going to mount your window treatments. There are two ways to do this:
- They can be mounted on the inside of the window, or
- They can be mounted on the outside of the window frame.
- Inside Window Mounts
Most window treatments are traditionally mounted inside the window. For inside window mounts, you should always record the exact window opening size, taking no deductions from your measurements. Your window treatment will be made to fit snugly in the window.
- Start by ensuring that the window has enough depth to accommodate the covering that you are interested in. you can find the minimum mount depth inside the product specification of most window treatment.
- Next, check that there aren't any obstructions that may get in the way of an inside mount. If your window isn't deep enough or if there are obstructions, you might have to consider another product or an outside mount.
- To get your window's width, you will always measure from edge to edge inside the window from the place where you plan to mount your installation brackets.
- Place the metal housing on one side of the window and rest the metal housing of your measurement tape on the other side. Note the measurement.
- Take the width measurement at the top, middle, and bottom of the window and record the narrowest of the three measurements.
- For height, measure from edge to edge inside the window frame. Measure the height in three locations â€“ left, center, and right.
- That's it! Now you're done measuring for an inside mount.